https://elbertpartnersforhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/4565818.jpg 465 465 Alysia Poon http://elbertpartnersforhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/21752439_126555871266964_8477614874955487770_n-300x208.png Alysia Poon2018-10-30 15:22:152019-01-08 13:23:27October Healthy Recipe Idea
October Healthy Recipe Idea
Easy Scalloped Potatoes
From: EatingWell.com, October 2017
In this easy scalloped potatoes recipe, sliced potatoes are roasted in the oven before being mixed with a simple, creamy stovetop sauce and sprinkled with Cheddar cheese. A few minutes under the broiler turns the dish golden and crispy.
- 2½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices (about 8 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Carapelli Firenze Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17 Fl Oz$7.49 for 1 itemThru 11/11
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, divided
Tillamook Medium Cheddar Finely Shredded Cheese 8 Oz$2.99 for 1 itemThru 11/04
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Position racks in upper and lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between 2 large baking sheets and spread in an even layer. Roast, rotating the pans from top to bottom about halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add milk; cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and bubbles, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven. Preheat the broiler.
- Transfer half the potatoes to a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish. Spread half the sauce over the potatoes and top with ½ cup cheese. Add the remaining potatoes and top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Broil, watching carefully, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is beginning to brown, 1 to 5 minutes, depending on your broiler. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve topped with thyme.
- To make ahead: Roast potatoes (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead. Prepare sauce (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; gently reheat until steaming before combining with the potatoes and cheese.